When it comes to enhancing the look and comfort of any room in your home with minimal effort, it’s hard to beat the effect of a great area rug. Area rugs can not only make your living spaces look visually appealing and carefully curated, but they also feel comfortable under your bare feet. They also hide the messes tracked from your loved ones, all without taking away from the beauty of wall-to-wall floors. Area rugs are also great investment pieces that can move from room to room or even house to house as your family’s needs evolve.
With so many rugs to choose from, finding the right rug for a specific area of your home can be overwhelming. Fortunately, the trusted design team at Ashley HomeStore in Tucson are here to help. Keep these tips in mind to find the perfect rug for any space in your home.
Size and shape
If there’s one home decorating mistake we’ve all made, it’s choosing the wrong size rug. While it’s common for homeowners to incorporate area rugs that are too small for the spaces they’re designing, this can make your living areas disjointed and smaller than they already are. It’s important to choose a rug that’s the right size for the room or area you’re grouping together. A good rule of thumb is to leave 4 to 8 inches of bare floor around each side of the area rug. Be sure to place at least the front legs of the room’s main upholstered pieces of furniture on the rug, such as sofas and tables. This will create a balanced and polished result.
The size of the room you’re decorating can also help you decide what shape of rug will work best in it. You can’t go wrong with a rectangular area rug in just about any room, especially the big one. Round rugs can add a soft, elegant touch to your home and work beautifully in smaller spaces, such as breakfast rooms and reading nooks.
Material and texture
Rugs can be found in countless patterns and can be made from a variety of materials. Before you buy the first area rug you like, consider what materials and textures will work best in your living spaces. Besides the way your area rug feels, it’s worth thinking about how much work you’re willing to do in its maintenance. You may love the look of a cowhide area rug, but if you live with small children or pets, keeping it clean may be more than you expect. Here are some common materials that are used to make rugs.
- cottonIf you are looking for a washable rug, cotton is a great option. Cotton also gives area rugs a lighter feel, making them ideal for warmer climates, for use during the summer, or in rooms where you strive to create a cozy atmosphere.
- polyester and nylonSynthetic materials, such as polyester and nylon, are known for their durability and ease of maintenance. Although they may not be as plush as natural fibers, they are usually stain resistant and come in a wide variety of patterns.
- wool: Wool area rugs offer the best of both worlds due to their superior comfort and durability. While they are known for their attractiveness, softness, and longevity, they tend to be expensive and require regular professional cleanings.
- juteJute area rugs are often neutral colors and provide a soft feel under your feet, and because they are made from plant fibers, they can be maintained by gently spot cleaning.
color and pattern
The right area rug will not only make your living space look inviting and visually appealing, but it can also enhance the comfort and warmth of the space. The wrong area rug can make a stylish room appear fragmented, small, or completely “off.” Choose an area rug that will not only complement the surrounding décor but also help you achieve the aesthetic you have in mind. Check out these ideas to help you make the most of your area rug in the right color and pattern.
- Are you looking for a rug that blends in with the other furnishings in your home? If so, choosing a neutral color scheme and subtle pattern is the way to go. Alternatively, if you’re looking for a rug to act as a focal point in the room, choose one with some bold color that you pull from another area of the space, such as a painting, to create a memorable aesthetic.
- If your area rug is in a high-traffic area, it’s best to choose one with a detailed pattern or a dark color palette that will hide stains and spills more effectively.
- Regardless of whether you want your rug to blend in or stand out, be sure to incorporate a rug that stays in line with the overall style of the rest of the furnishings and accessories within the space. Adding an oriental rug to a farmhouse living room probably wouldn’t look quite appropriate, however, and a woven rustic rug would be the perfect finishing touch that brings the rest of the room together.
Find your perfect rug at Ashley HomeStore
When it comes time to find the perfect area rug for your living room, bedroom, or any other space in your home, Ashley HomeStore does the trick. We are proud to offer a large selection of high quality rugs in a range of sizes, styles and price points to meet your home décor needs. Stop by our convenient Tucson showroom location or visit us online today to get started! We can’t wait to show you how inviting your home can feel once you bring the right rug.