Here are some fun facts to help you get through your day and look like the most knowledgeable person in the water cooler…
Fun (and not so fun) facts:
- The number “420” became associated with marijuana in 1971 when a group of stones gathered at San Rafael High School in California at 4:20 p.m. to smoke. They would say 420 as a symbol, and it started spreading from there.
- The “rabbit ears” hand gesture was originally called “cuckold horns”. . . People hang it behind a man’s head if they know that his wife is cheating on him.
- The electricity it takes to charge your phone every night for a year costs about 50 cents.
- There are about 82 million Koreans in the world. . . And they only use 250 last names.
- The flag that Apollo 11 astronauts planted on the Moon came from Sears. A NASA employee bought it off the shelves for $5.50 right before the mission.
(Snopes / Wikipedia / Oracle / IB Times / Sky and Telescope)
Strange and popular news:
- A woman in Australia went crazy when she saw mothers’ goods there being used as “mom” instead of “mom”. She said, “I don’t want my children to give me gifts with the word ‘Mom’ on it. I’m not American. That’s just un-Australian.” (Full Story) (Well, her anger at this sounds very American.)
- Texas State Soldiers must meet the new WAISTLINE requirements or face the consequences. Men with waist sizes over 40 inches and women over 35 inches will have to track and share their weight loss efforts. (Full Story)
- Disney ranked first in the latest “Brand Intimacy” study, which ranked brands based on sentiment. Tesla is No. 2, followed by Apple, Sony and YouTube. (Full Story)
- Still frustrated with gas prices? Autotrader has selected the 10 Best Electric Vehicles of 2022. The Chevrolet Bolt / Bolt EUV is first. (Full Story)
- An Indiana sheriff received a special bravery award after being attacked by a SQUIRREL. Also included is a bronze squirrel. (Full Story)
- A truck was left stuck on a bridge in Tennessee, and when officers investigated, they found hundreds of pounds of marijuana inside. A 54-year-old woman has been charged. She told the officers that she had left him because the gas had run out. (Full Story)
- Canada’s persistent little woodpecker is trying to make a hole in the world’s largest hockey stick. (Full Story)
- Asked if people should continue to wear masks on planes, President Biden said, “It’s up to them.” (Full Story)