Family loses fifth member in St. Louis accident involving stolen SUV

Four family members were killed on May 6 when a jeep hit the pickup they were traveling in. An 11-year-old girl who was injured in the accident earlier this week died.

St. said Eleanor Simmons, the 72-year-old mother of a family that lost several members in early May in a crash in West St. Louis.

Overwhelmed with wishes, Simmons wishes the unbearable pain was just a bad dream, but it isn’t.

“It’s a huge loss to lose so much in one day,” Simmons said.

On May 6, Simmons said, several family members had finished grocery shopping, and her son, Ephraim Simmons, was taking his relatives home. Police said her family was traveling north on Pendleton Street in Kia Sedona in Ephraim.

Three teens were in a stolen Jeep Cherokee, “trying to evade the police at high speed” when they crashed into the family at the intersection of Pendleton Avenue and Delmar Street.

“I was really nervous about all of this,” Simmons said.

Four members of her family were killed instantly: her 52-year-old daughter, Angelique Simmons; her two sons, 47-year-old Ephraim Simmons and 45-year-old Luther Simmons; and her 34-year-old granddaughter, Rhonda Simmons.

Simmons’ three great-granddaughters, Anyasha Wallace, 15, Takara Thompson, 11, and Trinity Thompson, 8, were infected. Takara died Monday at St. Louis Hospital.

“She’s definitely been in a critical condition since then and it didn’t work out. She was fighting though,” said Aaron Peggy, Takara’s uncle.

“It only hurts because I won’t be able to see my kids anymore. I won’t be able to hug them. I won’t be able to talk to them. I’m preparing for a mass funeral right now for five people,” Simmons said.

Police arrested two 17-year-old boys after the incident. Police said the jeep driver fled the scene.

A St. Louis Police spokeswoman said there was no update on the incident in response to an email request. More than a week after the fatal accident, the police still have not arrested the young driver.

Peggy said investigators told him the driver was 17 years old.

“I really hope they arrest him or this person turns himself in. Once again, I will fight for justice for my family members,” Peggy said.

Meanwhile, his grieving grandmother Eleanor Simmons is trying to stay strong.

She said, “I stand on the strength of God.”

But Simmons is grateful for some good news.

Her 8- and 15-year-old granddaughters were released from the hospital last week.

A GoFundMe account has also been set up to help with funeral costs.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: